Helpful Tips for Sellers
The tops below can help your home stand out from the competition when you're trying to sell. Wondering what your home's worth? We can help! Fill out our free, no obligation Home Value Request Form, and we'll run the numbers to determine the approximate value of your home in today's real estate market.
1. You never get a second chance to make a good first impression...
Start with your lawn- the first thing that prospective buyers see.
Is lawn trimmed and edged?
Are flower beds clear of leaves, weeds and grass?
Is appeal of the house enhanced by adequate flowers and bark chips?
Are light posts, gas grills, outdoor lights, mailboxes, fences or basketball hoops in good condition?
Are children's objects removed, such as old swing sets, sandboxes, etc.?
Have any bare spots in lawn, big holes, ruts, weeds or crabgrass been taken care of?
Does lawn have an overall manicured look?
- If winter, has snow and ice been removed from sidewalks and steps?
2. Your front door welcomes the prospect...
A seasonal door decoration adds a warm, inviting touch.
- Is the door clean, or would a coat of paint be helpful?
- Are light fixtures, doorknobs in good condition?
- Does the doorbell work?
- Are storm doors in good condition?
- Is the front-step/porch in good repair?
3. Staging your home helps assure top dollar and quicker sale...
Using the services of a professional home stager has many benefits.
- Professional stagers are emotionally detached from the home, unlike sellers.
- Professional stagers have the ability to see your house as buyers will.
- Professional stagers can set the scene to allow buyers to envision themselves living in the house.
- Professional stagers have access to furniture and accessories that will best highlight your home.
- Studies show that staged homes generally sell faster and for more money than non-staged homes.
4. Clean windows show the bright side of your home...
Let the prospective buyers see how cheerful your home can be.
- Have curtains and draperies been opened to highlight walls and ceilings?
- Will window coverings appeal to the general public?
- Do sheers cover all windows facing the street?
5. A clean kitchen is a must...
Many buyers judge the housekeeping by the oven and stove.
- Is the interior of the oven, stove and dishwasher stain free?
- Have the cabinets been cleared of all but essential items?
- Are the counter tops clean and free of clutter?
- Is the counter top stained? (Baking soda is good for removing stains an dit will not mar the finish.)
6. Sparkling bathrooms help sell your home...
Spick-and-span throughout is the way to judge the bathrooms.
- Are shower doors, ceramic tile and grouting clean and free of soap film?
- Are fixtures polished and free of water marks?
- Have appliques in the tub been removed?
- Is lighting adequate?
- Does toilet seat need to be replaced?
- Is exhaust fan working? Is it quiet?
- Window available? Open it and let the fresh air in.
7. Avoid cluttered appearances...
Perhaps now's the time to plan a garage sale.
- Do you have excess furniture which makes the rooms appear cramped?
- Are newspapers, toys and other articles picked up?
- Is the stairway clear? This is essential!
8. Make the closets look as large as possible...
Remove or pack items that can be stored elsewhere.
- Is the closet neat and well organized?
- Are wall surfaces in need of paint?
- Is shelving and hardware in good repair?
- If the closets have lights, are bulbs bright?
- Do closets doors operate smoothly and quietly?
9. From bottom to top...
Remove all unnecessary items.
- Have you checked the basement, garage and other utility space and removed all excess items?
- Is there a damp smell in the basement or crawl space? if so, place a bag of limestone in the damp area.
- Are the walks dark and dull? if so, they can easily be brightened with a coat of paint.
- Do all lights work? Are they bright enough?
- Are window areas clean and sealed properly?
- Are window wells free of debris?
- Is floor covering in good condition?
- Are steps and handrails in need of paint or repair?
- Is basement immaculate?
- Is sump pump operable? Is sump pit uncluttered?
10. Check major appliances...
A little correction could be worth a good many dollars.
- Is the furnace filter clean?
- Is the attic fan running quietly?
- Is the exterior of the water heater clean?
- Does the water softener work? Is it clean?
- Is water heater in good condition? Drain a pail of water from the heater to remove rust particles.
- Does furnace work properly?
- When was air conditioning system checked?
- Does air filter work properly? Is it clean?
- Do kitchen appliances work properly? (Dishwasher, range, disposal, exhaust fan, compactor, refrigerator, oven)
- Does garage door opener work properly and quietly?
11. Minor flaws suggest neglect to the prospect...
Have them fixed to get top dollar for your house.
- Do the screen doors close tightly?
- If property has a storage shed, is it in good condition?
- Is there a dog house and should it be removed?
- Is driveway in good condition?
- Are gutters and downspouts in good repair?
- Do gutters drain away from the house?
- Is roof in good repair?
- Are hardwood floors in excellent condition?
- Are vinyl floors in good repair?
Contact the Haddad Team for a free market analysis of your home.